Wednesday, November 07, 2012

End of Laos Biking Trip - A few more random shots and thoughts.

Stopping for lunch one day beside the Mekong River, fried crickets were available. There's three on my plate and I ate them and Matt is grossed out. Taste like chicken!! Actually not. They taste like chips.


Laos is a Buddhist country although animism is the old religion. We visited a number of temples. This was a particularly lovely green jade Buddha. About a foot in height. There were three of them.
I'm always on the look out for cats. In Laos they are small and skitterish. However, this little fellow was friendly. He was an adult but probably weighed in at 5 to 7 pounds. I asked in Vietnam and Laos about the notion of eating cats because I had seen nothing on offer in the markets. I was told no one eats cats. Maybe in Vietnam for a special occasion like a wedding but generally it did not happen. You don't see many cats but good to know they just don't make it as food. Really odd since literally everthing is eaten.
Another beautiful small cat in Vientiane, Laos.


I think this is one of my favourite photos of Laos. Taken early morning about 7am in Vang Vieng, Laos.

End of trip and this is my trusty steed.
Actually this is the end of the trip. We did 70km on flat road this day and ended it at a mini Arc de Triomphe in the capital city Vientiane. Al, me, Matt and La. The concrete used to make the structure was supplied by the Americans for a airport runway. It got used for this and hence has the nickname the "vertical runway".  Ha! Great last laugh.


So, I'm back to Singapore and on to new adventures which I will post about as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment