Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Seville, Spain

Spanish cities tend to look the same at first and yet they are very different and have their own unique characteristics and personalities. A young Spanish man I was talking to said the people of Seville are the funniest people in Spain. Can't say I witnessed this - I will take his word for it. What I did witness was stupendous architecture. In the city centre you cannot look anywhere without seeing something that is absolutely stunning. My camera was full of images of buildings and a careful edit was required.

Plaza de España with it's incredible tile work.
I could not believe that the pillars and railings were accessible. Kids were climbing on and over them, etc.
In North America this would be completely roped off. 

It was really hot in Seville. I got a bicycle in the early morning (Seville is a very bike friendly city) and headed out. I wanted to cover more ground than I could walking, to be out when it is cooler and less people about. 


Another tower.... the Giralda is a former minaret that was converted to a bell tower for the Cathedral of Seville.  
A cool building. Moorish influence is very evident. 

Full moon over Seville street. 

I just liked this view. 

A quiet courtyard I peeked into while bicycling down a street. 

El Toro! The bull ring in Seville. Yes, bull fighting is alive and well in Spain. September is not bull fighting season so no action. You could not pay me any amount of money to see a bull fight. I believe it to be completely inhumane and no Spanish argument that it is their 'culture' can persuade me otherwise. Not necessary!! 

I did see bulls however, These, along with a dozen others, were mounted in this bar where I stopped for some Sangria.

Yup, when in Spain one must see Flamenco. It was so hot in this room and these two worked up an incredible sweat. I don't know how they did it. La Casa del Flamenco Sevilla.
Art shot. Brutally hot day and I was walking around the Alcatraz (royal palace). I was carrying my iPad but didn't realize my hand was on the shutter and I probably fired off about 75 consecutive photos of me walking. I remember I was trying to find a bench in the shade with a bit of a breeze. 


No comments:

Post a Comment