Friday, January 01, 2016

Oaxaca City - December 2015

I left Puebla headed for Oaxaca by bus. There are no trains in Mexico but the bus system is excellent and very cost effective.

Dramatic scenery which only got more intense the closer I got to Oaxaca. Unfortunately I was not sitting on the right side of the bus for truly impressive views and my bus mates mostly wanted to pull down the shades and sleep. 
Headed into a desert like environment. 
View of courtyard, where I was staying in Oaxaca. 

A lovely place to rest after a busy day of sight seeing.
Casa Panchita 

Street view near Casa Panchita

Very old viaduct 

Another street view. 

Local square 
Another square 
The Oaxaca Zocalo
Street vendor 
Santo Domingo
Headed out on a bike ride with my guide Roberto. 
Hitting the dirt roads

Great views, great day. 

Hola ! 

A little bit of a creek to cross. 

Roberto surveying his domain. Although he told me he lives in the city. 
Another church along the bike trail 
Some local students who were excited to practice their English as I was to practice my Spanish. 
I saw these vehicles throughout Mexico and was told they were Moto-taxis. I know them to be Tuk-tuks from India. 
Santo Domingo at night

Local mezcal bar

In the evening everyone heads to the main square. And balloons are a favourite with Mexican children. 
Street vendor selling cooked corn, smothered in mayonnaise, rolled in shredded cheese and then chili pepper sprinklse and a squeeze of fresh lime. The line up for this was long!
At an organic market where tacos are being made and sold. 

Another view of the front of Santo Domingo and Oaxaca streets
In one of the museums, a diorama of a music shop

Human skull covered with turquoise (or jade?) 

Spiders

Bottles
Leaving Oaxaca by plane. Monte Alban (Pre-Columbian archaeological site) can be seen on the top of the ridge. 















No comments:

Post a Comment