Monday, June 05, 2017

There but for the Grace of God ( go I )


Queen's house


The big clock


The big wheel


We're leaving London, this marvellous city, with some sadness today. The recent terrorist attacks have left their impression. I was out the night before (Friday) at a concert and coming back to apartment on bicycle about 10:30pm. It was a lovely, balmy early summer evening and many, many people were out on the streets. Many people are always out on the streets here. It's just that kind of place. My route did not take me near London Bridge. But, I could have kept going and biked to the bridge Friday night. It was only just beyond my destination on the bike path.

The next night at about 10:30pm the incident happened. Such a meaningless loss of life and injury. And for what? No one wins when these actions take place. What makes people so disenfranchised that they do this? How do we get to the root of the problem and fix it, not put more security on the streets which is needed but really just a band-aid? So many questions. I don't have the answers.

I leave you with three photos I took of London icons on my bike ride home and one from the BBC of people gathering to pay their respects.

No comments:

Post a Comment